Welcome to Village Lights Bookstore!
Please be advised that we switched to a new credit card processor on Monday, October 19, 2020. Existing customer profiles did not migrate to the new system. All customers, both new and existing, will need to provide their personal and (optional) credit card information for initial orders. We apologize for the inconvenience.
(November 11, 2020)
The American Booksellers Association estimates that one in four independent bookstores will go out of business by January, 2021. A bookstore presents unique challenges in the face of this highly contagious virus. While our store needs your business in order to survive the pandemic, our health and safety and that of our customers and community remain our absolute priority. We are trying to keep our doors open for you in some way, maintaining social distancing and other protocols to ensure that our operations are as safe as possible. We are approaching each day with supreme caution, driven by data.
In-store shopping is currently available by appointment only between the hours of 12:00 pm and 6:00 pm. This is for individuals or families/groups living in a single household (maximum 5 people, masks required). Call us at 812-265-1800 to reserve your personal browsing time and have the entire store to yourself!
The following options for ordering books remain in place…
• If you live in Jefferson County, IN, or the Milton, KY area, you can call us at 812-265-1800 to order books and pre-pay with a credit card over the phone. We will call you when your items arrive. Then, if you do not feel comfortable coming into the store, you can pick them up at curbside. If you feel that you would be at risk going out and about, we will personally deliver them, free of charge, to your doorstep. This saves shipping costs for you and for us.
• If you live in Jefferson County, IN, or the Milton, KY area, you also have the option of browsing, searching, and ordering through this website for curbside pick-up or delivery to your doorstep (choose “Curbside Pick-up or Free Madison-area Delivery” at checkout), with no shipping charges incurred for you or for us. Again, we will call you when your items arrive. Then you can pick them up at curbside, or ask us to deliver them to your door, free of charge.
• If you do not live in either of the above areas, you can order through this website with 99¢ shipping (choose "99¢ Shipping" at checkout) or normal shipping (choose "Happy to pay full shipping!" at checkout to give us a little break) for delivery from our supplier via US Postal Service directly to your mailbox. (Please be advised that we cannot offer 99¢ shipping for books from Larkspur Press.)
• Regardless of where you live, you can order audiobooks through this website.
We are deeply grateful for your support. Please keep those phone and online orders coming. They sustain us in these trying times.
Stay safe, be well, mask up, and keep on reading!
Protocols for In-Store Shopping by Appointment
• All customers entering the store will be REQUIRED to wear a MASK or face covering. This includes children over the age of two. We will provide a mask to anyone who needs one. (No shirt, no shoes, no mask… “No book for you!”) If you choose not to wear a mask, we respectfully ask that you submit your book orders over the telephone. We will then be happy to serve you at curbside.
• Hand sanitizer will be provided at the store entrance and at the sales counter. We ask that you use it immediately upon entering the store, before handling the books.
• Gloves will be provided to customers who wish to wear them.
• Bookstore staff will sanitize all common areas regularly.
• Bookstore staff will wear masks and practice social distancing at all times.
• The restroom is closed until further notice.
• The children’s reading nook is closed until further notice.
• The second floor Reading Room is closed until further notice.
• Food and drink are not allowed in the store.