Welcome to Village Lights Bookstore!
(June 26, 2020)
We're very over this pandemic, but it's not yet over us. While we're eager to see everyone in person again, our own health and safety and that of our customers and our community remain our absolute priority as we welcome shoppers back into the bookstore. We are exploring ways to open our doors while maintaining social distancing and other protocols, as recommended by health professionals, to ensure that our operations are as safe as possible. A bookstore presents unique challenges in the face of a virus that is highly contagious and still very much around us. We will reopen slowly and cautiously, and we ask for your understanding as we navigate each step along the way. This is a work in progress.
In-store shopping is now available by appointment only between the hours of 12:00 pm and 6:00 pm. This will be for individuals or families/groups living in a single household (maximum 5 people, masks required). Call us at 812-265-1800.
The following options for ordering books remain in place…
• If you live in Jefferson County, IN, or the Milton, KY area, you can call us at 812-265-1800 to order books and pre-pay with a credit card over the phone. We will call you when your items arrive. Then, if you do not feel comfortable coming into the store, you can pick them up at curbside. If you feel that you would be at risk going out and about, we will personally deliver them, free of charge, to your doorstep. This saves shipping costs for you and for us.
• If you live in Jefferson County, IN, or the Milton, KY area, you also have the option of browsing, searching, and ordering through this website for curbside pick-up or delivery to your doorstep (choose “Curbside Pick-up or Free Madison-area Delivery” at checkout), with no shipping charges incurred for you or for us. Again, we will call you when your items arrive. Then you can pick them up at curbside, or ask us to deliver them to your door, free of charge.
• If you do not live in either of the above areas, you can order through this website with 99¢ shipping (choose "99¢ Shipping" at checkout) or normal shipping (choose "Happy to pay full shipping!" at checkout to give us a little break) for delivery from our supplier via US Postal Service directly to your mailbox. (Please be advised that we cannot offer 99¢ shipping for books from Larkspur Press.)
• Regardless of where you live, you can order audiobooks through this website.
We are deeply grateful for the support you have given us and look forward to seeing you in person again. Please do keep those phone and online orders coming. They sustain us in these trying times.
Please be safe, stay well, and keep on reading!
Protocols for In-Store Shopping by Appointment
• All customers entering the store will be REQUIRED to wear a MASK or face covering. This includes children over the age of two. We will provide a mask to anyone who needs one. (No shirt, no shoes, no mask… “No book for you!”) If you choose not to wear a mask, we respectfully ask that you submit your book orders over the telephone. We will then be happy to serve you at curbside.
• Hand sanitizer will be provided at the store entrance and at the sales counter. We ask that you use it immediately upon entering the store, before handling the books.
• Gloves will be provided to customers who wish to wear them.
• Bookstore staff will sanitize all common areas regularly.
• Bookstore staff will wear masks and practice social distancing at all times.
• The restroom is closed until further notice.
• The children’s reading nook is closed until further notice.
• The second floor Atrium and Reading Room are closed until further notice.
• Food and drink are not allowed in the store.