Written a book? Want it on our shelves? We might carry it on consignment.
Here's what you need to do and know.
- Read the following article online: “So, you wrote a book – now what?”
- Please hand-deliver or mail all consignment requests – two copies of each title, a completed Village Lights Bookstore (VLB) Consignment Agreement form, and a check for $15 (per title) for non-refundable handling fees made payable to “Village Lights Bookstore” – in a large envelope marked “Consignment Request.” We are not able to accommodate email, on-the-spot walk-in, or telephone inquiries.
- Please be advised that VLB will not stock or sell any title published by or printed through Amazon.com. This includes titles published or printed through CreateSpace. Please DO NOT contact us to ask why. A modicum of research should provide your answer. Suffice it to say that we are by no means unique in this regard.
- If we decide not to carry your books, we will ask you to pick them up. If you expect not to be able to do so, we ask that you provide a self-addressed, pre-paid envelope for their return. VLB will not be responsible for any shipping charges.
- Books must have the following:
- Printed and bound spine displaying the title and author name (no spiral binding).
- Paperback, hardback, board, or equivalent cover displaying the title and author name.
- 13-digit International Standard Book Number (ISBN) and bar code.
- Suggested retail price printed on the back cover.
- VLB will not pay more than 60% of the retail price to the consignor.
- The basic handling fee for consignment books is $15 per title.
- VLB agrees to carry accepted books on a consignment basis for 3 months.
- During that period, VLB may contact the consignor to request additional quantities for sale.
- VLB will pay for any books sold on a quarterly basis (Feb, May, Aug, Nov) when the amount due is $25 or more.
- At the end of the consignment period, VLB will evaluate the success of your book(s). If no books were sold, we will ask you to pick them up. If we decide to continue to carry your book, we will extend the consignment period for an additional 3 months, and then evaluate the book(s) again when the additional period has expired. If we decide to not extend the consignment period, we will ask you to pick up any remaining items. If you will not be able to do so, we will ask that you provide a self-addressed, pre-paid envelope for their return. VLB will not be responsible for any shipping charges.
- Any books left at Village Lights Bookstore by authors for more than a month after authors have been contacted to pick them up will become the property of Village Lights Bookstore.
- All shipping charges are the responsibility of the consignor.
- VLB will only pay for items that were sold. Damaged or stolen items are the sole financial responsibility of the consignor.
- It is the responsibility of the consignor to keep current contact information on file with VLB.
- Consignors with websites must place a link to www.villagelightsbooks.com on their homepage or book sales page. Consignors whose books are available through Ingram must include, on their book sales page, a buy link to their books(s) through IndieBound.org.