Author Event Requests
So, you're an author and you'd like to have an event at Village Lights.
Here's what you need to know...
General Terms for Author Events
- There will be no charge for a simple two-hour book signing on the main floor of the store.
- Authors choosing to do a simple book signing will be responsible for their own publicity.
- There will be a $50 charge for a two-hour author event in our second floor Reading Room/Event Space, including set-up, lights, sound (if appropriate), seating, and publicity (store newsletter, Facebook, local media).
- The event will be scheduled with store management no less than two months in advance.
- The author will provide via email, no less than 6 weeks in advance of the event, their phone number(s), mailing address, and website address (if applicable).
- The author will provide via email, no less than 6 weeks in advance of the event, complete book info (title, author's name on book, binding, pub date, price point), high resolution headshot, high resolution image of their book’s front cover art, one-paragraph bio, and brief description of the book.
- The author may bring their own signage or promotional material as long as it does not include reference to Amazon.com or any online sales venue other than the author’s own website.
- Authors with websites will post their event at Village Lights Bookstore on their site’s event calendar and place a link to www.villagelightsbooks.com on their homepage or book sales page.
- The author’s books will not be placed for sale in any venue within a 30-mile radius of Madison, Indiana for a period beginning 30 days before and ending 30 days after the author’s event at Village Lights Bookstore.
- The books will be supplied by the author and be sold on consignment through the Village Lights Bookstore POS system.
- Before start of the event, the author will complete and sign a Consignment Agreement form.
Consignment Terms for Author Events
- Village Lights Bookstore (VLB) will not stock or sell any title published by or through Amazon.com. This includes titles published through CreateSpace and, regretably, those ambiguously listed with distributors as "Independently Published."
- Books must have the following:
- Printed and bound spine displaying the title and author name (no spiral binding, please). Poetry chapbooks are exempted from this requirement.
- Paperback, hardback, board, or equivalent cover displaying the title and author name.
- 13-digit International Standard Book Number (ISBN) and bar code.
- Suggested retail price printed on the back cover.
- VLB will not pay more than 60% of the retail price to the consignor.
- VLB agrees to carry accepted books on a consignment basis for 3 months.
- During that period, VLB may contact the consignor to request additional quantities for sale.
- VLB will pay for any books sold on a quarterly basis (Feb, May, Aug, Nov) when the amount due is $25 or more.
- At the end of the consignment period, VLB will evaluate the success of your book(s). If no books were sold, we will ask you to pick them up. If we decide to continue to carry your book, we will extend the consignment period for an additional 3 months, and then evaluate the book(s) again when the additional period has expired. If we decide to not extend the consignment period, we will ask you to pick up any remaining items. If you will not be able to do so, we ask that you provide a self-addressed, pre-paid envelope for their return. VLB will not be responsible for any shipping charges.
- Any books left at Village Lights Bookstore by authors for more than a month after authors have been contacted to pick them up will become the property of Village Lights Bookstore.
- All shipping charges are the responsibility of the consignor.
- VLB will only pay for items that were sold. Damaged or stolen items are the sole financial responsibility of the consignor.
- It is the responsibility of the consignor to keep current contact information on file with VLB.
- Consignors with websites must place a link to www.villagelightsbooks.com on their homepage or book sales page. Consignors whose books are available through Ingram must include, on their book sales page, a buy link to their books(s) through IndieBound.org.