Author Event Requests
So, you're an author and you'd like to have an event at Village Lights.
Here's what you need to know...
General Terms for Author Events
- There will be no charge for a simple two-hour book signing on the main floor of the store.
- The event will be posted on the store's website/newsletter calendar and Facebook page. Additional publicity will be the responsibility of the author.
- There will be a $200 charge for a two-hour author event in our second floor Reading Room/Event Space, including set-up, lights, sound (if appropriate), and seating.
- The event will be scheduled with store management no less than two months in advance.
- The author will provide via email, no less than 6 weeks in advance of the event, their phone number(s), mailing address, and website address (if applicable).
- The author will provide via email, no less than 6 weeks in advance of the event, complete book info (title, author's name on book, ISBN-13, binding, pub date, price point), high resolution headshot, high resolution image of their book’s front cover art, one-paragraph author bio, and brief description of the book.
- The author may bring their own signage or promotional material as long as it does not include reference to Amazon.com or any online sales venue other than the author’s own website.
- Authors with websites will post their events at Village Lights Bookstore on their site’s event calendar including a link to their event page on the Village Lights Bookstore website.
- Authors with websites and whose books are available through Ingram will place links to their book sales pages on Bookshop.org and IndieBound.org on their own homepage or book sales pages.
- The author’s books will not be placed for sale in any venue within a 30-mile radius of Madison, Indiana for a period beginning 30 days before and ending 30 days after the author’s event at Village Lights Bookstore.
- The books will be supplied by the author and be sold on consignment through the Village Lights Bookstore POS system.
- Before start of the event, the author will complete and sign a Consignment Agreement form.
Consignment Terms for Author Events
- Village Lights Bookstore (VLB) will not stock or sell any title published by or through Amazon.com. This includes all titles published through Kindle Direct Publishing or CreateSpace.
- Books must have the following:
- Printed and bound spine displaying the title and author name. Poetry chapbooks are exempted from this requirement.
- Paperback, hardcover, board, or equivalent cover displaying the title and author name.
- 13-digit International Standard Book Number (ISBN) and bar code.
- Suggested retail price printed on the back cover.
- VLB will not pay more than 60% of the retail price to the consignor.
- VLB agrees to carry accepted items on a consignment basis for the duration of the in-store author event only.
- Any books left at Village Lights Bookstore by authors for more than a month following the event will become the property of Village Lights Bookstore.
- VLB will pay only for items that are sold. Damaged or stolen items are the sole financial responsibility of the consignor.
- Consignors with websites must place links to www.villagelightsbooks.com on their homepages or book sales pages. Consignors whose books are available through Ingram must include, on their book sales pages, buy links to their books through the Village Lights website.